ReView Exhibition & Gathering – Open Call
Reduce, Reuse, ReView!
An environmentally conscious exhibition which provides an opportunity for you and your work to be seen in fresh air and fresh light.
The GSoI has taken the theme of Climate Change for the International Year of Glass 2022. Through our programming we want to open the conversation around glass making, the climate and our individual and collective glass practices. ReView is a unique project for our members to exhibit together, share stories and get some fresh perspectives on older or unresolved artworks.
We want you to select a piece of your work, share its story and then take it outside for a ReView among friends in an exhibition at the beautiful grounds of Hunting Brook Gardens, Blessington, Co Wicklow.
This pop-up event will take place over the weekend of September 10th & 11th, outside in natural light, with minimal resources and environmental impact. The exhibition will have a lasting legacy online via excellent video and photo documentation and a digital catalogue complete with curator and juror comments.
In a sector where most shows and open calls demand something new, this unique exhibition is a chance to ReView something old, see it in a new light and obtain fresh insights from fellow exhibitors while sharing stories and space together.
Intrigued? Here’s how to get involved:
- Create and Share a Short 2 – 3min Video with the GSoI. In this video answer the following questions (and don’t forget to include pictures of the piece you want to show)
- Tell us who you are & What you do
- What is the piece you would like to ReView and Why
- Describe it (what size is it, how it is made etc)
- How do you think it might fit/sit/be within this garden setting (Here please tell us things like will it hang, what area might it be located.. The meadow, the stream etc)
If this sounds intimidating DON’T PANIC we’re going to run an Information session on Wednesday July 27th at 6pm on Zoom for anyone who is curious to attend. Here you will have an opportunity to ask questions and we will share a variety of example application videos with you – the quality of your video will not be assessed just the answers you provide to the questions listed above.
Criteria & Details
- Open to GSoI Members Only (find out how to join here)
- Applications should be with work made ideally over 5 years ago*
- Work including glass is preferable, but not essential
- Display aids (like plints, stands etc) should be minimal
- You need to be able to carry the piece/parts by hand for installation and be present yourself for the weekend**
- International members may send a proxy to represent them if unable to attend
- 15 Euro Submission Fee per entry. Artists can submit a max of 3 entries for consideration.
- Deadline for Applications 6pm, August 12th 2022
- Please email your video to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can collate and assess applications you are welcome to use file sharing applications such as WeTrasfer, DropBox, OneDrive etc. just please ensure you also send us an email with a link and the subject heading; ‘ReView Open Call Application’
* Don’t worry if that’s not possible for you, perhaps you are a recent graduate etc, in that case consider applying with something unresolved or that’s not been exhibited before
** Yes, this is an exhibition AND a gathering – being present and involved is part of the experience. You will have curatorial and installation support from the GSoI team over the weekend. Further details about hospitality etc are being worked out and will be provided to successful applicants.