Glass artists invited to enter NGC Glass Prize
The National Glass Centre (NGC) has announced its first European Glass Prize exhibition. Glass artists from across Europe, at any stage of their careers, are invited to submit work.
A distinguished panel will select work by about 40 artists, which, in their judgment, “reflects the finest contemporary practice in European glass”.
The chosen artworks will be shown at an exhibition at the NGC in Sunderland, England, which opens on 16 October 2021 and will run until 13 March 2022. There will be three prizes: a First Prize of £3,000; a Second Prize of £1,500, and a Third Prize of £1,000.
The selection panel will include Sandra Blach, Exhibition Officer at Glasmuseet Ebeltoft, Denmark, Reino Liefkes, Senior Curator and Head of Ceramics and Glass at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, England, and Julia Stephenson, Head of Arts at the NGC, Sunderland, England.
In order to be eligible for selection:
- Work must be made in or have a direct relationship to the medium of glass.
- Work submitted must have been made after 1 January 2018.
- Artists must be working in a European country (as listed under ‘Europe’ by the United Nations) at the time of submitting an application and it must be possible to collect work from, and return work to, this country.
- Works must be delivered to the NGC by a date to be confirmed in September 2021.
- Selected work must be available for inclusion in the exhibition until it closes in Spring 2022.
- The artist must complete all points included in the application form.
- Artists must submit one piece, or one group of works, taking into account that all artists must be equally represented within the exhibition.
- NGC has limited capacity for suspending work and may be limited in its ability to display work owing to factors including size, weight and potential health and safety challenges.
Packaging and Transport
Each selected artist will receive a payment of £250 to support the costs of two-way packaging and transport, which, along with insurance while in transport, will be the responsibility of the artist.
Applications must be received by the deadline of 5pm on Friday 4 June 2021.
To receive an application form, please email Julia Stephenson at the NGC on: firstname.lastname@example.org